How to help a friend in overcoming fear of flying
Despite the reliability of air travel, many people still develop fear of flying. If you know a friend who is at risk or who already have fears of flying, you can help him or her to overcome that. What you can do is to act as a confidante in his or her trips as often as possible. Since he or she trusts you, you can try to explain to your friend that although the fears of untoward incident may happen during a flight, these don’t take place all the time.
Acting as the confidante
If he or she decides to try flying again, it would be best if you accompany your friend so he or she can have somebody to turn to once the panic attack and nervousness grip his or her senses. If you are in the same flight with a friend who is trying to overcome fear of flying here are some of the things that you can do:
1. Attend a seminar or a class about overcoming fear or flying. Today, there are so many airlines that offer classes or seminars that can help people overcome fear of flying. If it is possible for you to bring him or her there before the flight, it would be better because here, information about air travel such as flight physics, flight safety, and studies or statistics as well as various relaxation techniques are taught to help people understand the phobia.
2. Make sure that you are informed about your flight. This is an extra effort for you but you have to do this because your friend will rely on you for information during your travel. You can check all your flight details so if your friend asks something during the flight, you will know what to tell him or her, your friend will be more comfortable and relaxed knowing that she or he doesn’t have to worry about anything anymore.
3. Keep the person distracted. Since your friend has aviophobia, it is only natural for him or her to feel nervousness, vomiting, dizziness, muscle tensions and deep breathing. If you see one or two of these symptoms, you should start distracting her or him by talking to her about things that are light. If you do this, you can veer him or her away from negative thoughts. You can also distract him or her by asking her to do something such reading a magazine or play some cards with you.
4. Take time to know the pilot and cabin crew. Some people fear flying because they don’t know who are the people they are entrusting their lives with. If this is the concern of your friend, make a request for both of you to see and meet the pilot as well as to the flight attendants. If he or she sees that these people are reliable and trustworthy, your friend would be more comfortable during the entirety of the flight.
5. Stop him or her from consuming stimulants. These stimulants may include sugar, coffee and other drinks that may contain alcohol that he or she might take before or during the flight. Tell your friend that it would be best not to take these since they contain ingredients that may increase the symptoms of anxiety as well as panic attacks.
6. Make sure that you both arrive in the airport early. One of most effective ways of helping a friend in overcoming fear of flying is you get there at least two hours before the flight, you can buy more time to relax and just enjoy the flight. It is best not to go there late because it will only cause a feeling of rush that may trigger anxiety.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
I’m, a writer, podcaster and artist helping people eliminate emotional baggage clutter for better relationships, self-esteem and work. Enjoy my blog, learn from my mistakes and take heed of the pearls of wisdom I've picked up over time! If you want to share your experience or post your article then connect with us.